To teach participants to safely and effectively use a pistol for defensive purposes.
This educational course is designed to assist individuals with the use of a handgun for personal defense, inside and outside the home. By participating in this course, individuals will learn to apply the fundamental rules for gun handling while using a handgun for personal defense. Participants will also be able to better understand the principles taught in Personal Defense Levels 2, & 3, offered by MI Firearms ETS.
Resulting Knowledge and Skills
click for results
As a result of this training, the student should be able to apply:
- Explain the importance of using a firearm responsibly and ethically for personal defense
- Explain the importance of developing the proper mindset for using a firearm for personal defense and facing a life-threatening encounter
- Explain and evaluate your state of mental awareness using the four levels of awareness
- Explain the importance of mental preparation and physical training for a potentially life-threatening confrontation
- Explain and demonstrate the fundamentals of defensive marksmanship (much different than target shooting) – MI Firearms Students spend four hours on the firing range, learning how to practice defensive shooting
- Explain and demonstrate malfunction clearing
- Explain and demonstrate defensive reloads
- Explain the differences between cover and concealment, and identify examples of each
Understanding and practicing the execution of these principles will enable the student to effectively and safely use a handgun for personal protection, whether protecting one’s self, loved ones, or others.
You will need to bring:
- You will need to provide the handgun you plan to use for personal defense.
- MI Firearms ETS has handguns for use with the required amount of ammunition for those who have not decided on a handgun for personal defense, yet
- You may use any caliber of handgun for this course, we suggest that you use a handgun of a minimum caliber of .38 special / 9mm, in order to receive the full effect of the training
- Handguns must be semi-automatic pistols or double-action revolvers
- You must have two magazines (semi-autos) or two speed loaders (revolvers)
- a Strong Side, Outside the Waistband Holster is required for this course
- Hearing and eye protection are required on the range at all times.
- This course is required to advance to the Personal Defense Level Two course offered by MI Firearms ETS
- This course cannot be waived for advancement into the Personal Defense Level Two course offered by MI Firearms ETS
- A minimum of 126 rounds of ammunition (9mm or .38 Special minimum suggested) must be fired to complete the range portion of the course
Length of Course: 4 hours
- Supplemental provided by MI Firearms ETS