NRA Basic Personal Protection Outside the Home Course
THIS COURSE CURRENTLY NOT SCHEDULED
PLEASE JOIN THE MAILING LIST TO STAY INFORMED ABOUT COURSE OFFERINGS AND SCHEDULES
To teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for owning and using a pistol safely.
A pistol is a mechanical device and, as with any machine, it is necessary to understand how it works before it can be safely used and its operation mastered. In the hands of a responsible, knowledgeable, and safety conscious person, a pistol is safe and reliable.
Resulting Knowledge and Skills
click for results
As a result of this training, the participants should be able to:
- Identify the principal parts of a pistol and types of actions, and demonstrate how they function
- Name, explain, apply, and adopt the NRA rules for safe gun handling
- Demonstrate how to handle pistols in a safe manner
- Explain the different components of a pistol cartridge
- Explain the firing sequence of a cartridge
- Explain how to properly store ammunition
- Explain the fundamentals of pistol shooting
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a pistol safely on a range
- Shoot targets from a benchrest position using the fundamentals of pistol shooting
- Identify materials needed to clean a pistol
- Clean a pistol safely
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to safely shoot a handgun from the two-handed and one-handed standing shooting positions
- Properly score a pistol target
- Explain the basic guidelines for purchasing a pistol
- Safely pursue pistol-shooting activities to the best of their abilities
- Pistols and ammunition are provided for the range time of this course (your own pistol may be used for parts of the range time)
- Hearing and eye protection are required on the range at all times.
- This course is required to advance to the Personal Protection In The Home course offered by MI Firearms ETS
- This course can be waived for advancement into the Personal Protection In The Home course offered by MI Firearms ETS by demonstrating proficiency to a MI Firearms ETS Instructor.
- There is a fee to schedule and perform proficiency with a shotgun for the possible waiver of this course as a pre-requisite to Personal Protection In The Home course
Length of Course: 10 hours
- Home Firearm Safety Handbook
- Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook
Add your name to the waiting list, and we will contact you when the next class is available.