THIS COURSE CURRENTLY NOT SCHEDULED
PLEASE JOIN THE MAILING LIST TO STAY INFORMED ABOUT COURSE OFFERINGS AND SCHEDULES
To teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for the safe use of a rifle in target shooting.
The NRA's Basic Personal Protection Outside the Home Course introduces students to the knowledge, skills, and attitude involved in safely, responsibly, and effectively employing a concealed pistol for self-defense. This is an intensive course, as the student must learn and practice many diverse shooting skills in order to respond quickly and appropriately to the broad range of threats that he or she may encounter outside the home. Similarly, the student must also learn and understand the unique safety and legal issues that apply when a concealed pistol is carried in public. This course covers the legal ramifications of concealed carry, including who can legally carry a pistol, when concealed carry is and is not permitted, the legal and ethical ramifications when responding to a life threatening encounter using a concealed pistol, and the legal, moral, emotional, and social aftermath of the use of deadly force outside the home.
Resulting Knowledge and Skills
click for results
As a result of this training, the participants should be able to:
- Identify the principle parts of a rifle, the different action types and how they function
- Identify and appreciate the rules for safe gun handling
- Demonstrate how to handle rifles in a safe manner
- Identify rifle ammunition components and their function
- Identify different types of rifle ammunition and their intended use
- Demonstrate how to insure the ammunition is correct for the rifle
- Identify and demonstrate five fundamentals of shooting a rifle
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to safely shoot a rifle on a range
- Shoot at a target using the five fundamentals of rifle shooting.
- Identify the materials needed to clean a rifle
- Demonstrate how to clean a rifle safely
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skill, and attitude necessary to safely shoot a rifle from the off-hand (standing) prone, kneeling, and sitting positions
- Identify criteria for selecting a rifle
- Safely pursue rifle-shooting activities to the best of their abilities
- Rifles and ammunition are provided for the range time of this course.
- Hearing and eye protection are required on the range at all times.
- This course is required to advance to the Combat Rifle Training offered by MI Firearms ETS
- This course can be waived for advancement into the Combat Rifle Training offered by MI Firearms ETS by demonstrating proficiency to a MI Firearms ETS Instructor.
- There is a fee to schedule and perform proficiency with a shotgun for the possible waiver of this course as a pre-requisite to Combat Rifle Training
Length of Course: 14 hours
- Home Firearm Safety Handbook
- The Basics of Rifle Shooting Handbook
Prerequisites (one of the following)
Add your name to the waiting list, and we will contact you when the next class is available.